August 27, 2007

SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT...


the next time you go shopping.

WHAT IS A SWEATSHOP?


A sweatshop is a factory where workers are forced to work with low wages, no benefits, long hours, cramped and unsanitary conditions. Many companies who use sweatshops prefer to use children so they can pay even less or nothing at all. Most sweatshop laborers don't even get paid enough to survive on. Thousands each year die from exhaustion caused by over work(12+ hours per day,7 days a week), injury from machinery, abuse by factory management, and sickness due to unsanitary conditions. Children are the majority of the people who die due to this immoral exploitation of workers.
Unions are not allowed and whenever one is formed it is destroyed by union busters hired by the companies.

WHERE ARE THESE SWEATSHOPS?


Sweatshops are known to be widespread in these countries:

  • Bangladesh
  • Burma
  • Cambodia
  • China
  • Colombia
  • Dominican Republic
  • El Salvador
  • Guatemala
  • Hati
  • Honduras
  • India
  • Indonesia
  • Jamaica
  • Macau
  • Malaysia
  • Mexico
  • Nicaragua
  • Oman
  • Pakistan
  • Peru
  • Philippines
  • Romania
  • Sri Lanka
  • Thailand
  • Turkey
  • Vietnam

WHO USES THESE SWEATSHOPS?


This is just a sample of who uses sweatshops
  • Nike
  • Phillips-Van Heusen
  • Disney
  • Guess?
  • The Gap
  • Banana Republic
  • Old Navy
  • Tommy Hilfiger
  • Reebok
  • Levi Straus
  • Liz Caliborne
  • Ralph Lauren
  • Mattel
  • Wal-Mart
  • Roohsing(Hong Kong clothing company)
  • Kohl's
Wow...I am dishearten . Even though we are a family who reuses, recycles, and re-purpose items. We are still consumers and we are contributing to the problem at hand. I need to find a way NOT to be apart this. I

It starts with us (ME), the consumers. We consume at a rate that would knock your socks off. Do you have any rooms in your home that are bulging at the seams? I know I do! I am guilty!!!

I believe in balance AND being responsible. I need to make changes. After doing my research, I realize I lack responsibility
Hmmmm. I need to think......

post signature

No comments: