December 3, 2007

REFLECTING ON GOD'S PROMISES

Have you ever traveled down, down, down into any dark valleys yourself? Can you remember a time of panic? Of suffering and sorrow? Of terror as darkness seemed to overshadow you and swallow you up as you journeyed into the unknown?

I can pinpoint a few personal dark times myself.

1. Getting "The Phone Call". My sister had been killed in an auto accident.

2. Sitting by my mother-in-laws deathbed listening to my husband say goodbye.
3. Getting "The Phone Call" My brother had been killed in a train accident.
4. Several days at my father's bed side after he had a heart attack. Wondering if I was going to lose him.
5. Several "mothering times when things didn't seem to be going in the right direction.

Yes, I've known darkness. I have tasted fear. I have lived it in those moments. The ray of sunshine was and is. I can and could praise God for those dark times. Why? Because I know something about of His promised presence. He was there with me every step of the way. I also know about His grace - it was sufficient for me in those terrifying times. It was His presence that enabled me to walk through those deep valleys of darkness and death.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death...." (through being the key word) You do get through those valley's. Just keep walking don't stop . Never fail to keep walking. Don't falter. Don't ponder. Just proceed. WALK!!!! Believe me when I say....it is so much easier said than done. But keeping WALKING.

I would love to hear from you. How has the Good Shepherd lead you through the valley?

2 comments:

Annie said...

I've experienced a few very dark times, the worst being the weeks following Izzy's accident (and the moments following her accident), but God has brought me through all of them and I praise him for the strength He pours out on me.
blessings~
annie

Melissa in Mel's World said...

My oldest son woke up one morning before school (6th grade) have seizures. We had him airlifted to the nearest Children's Hospital where he almost dies 3 times. He spent 51 days in the PICU and it was absolutely the WORST time of my life. I have been through the valley of the shadow of death and walked through (no, I take that back...I was CARRIED through) and am now on the other side. My son, is now 13 1/2 years old, happy, healthy (except he now has diabetes, as a result to the trauma on his body), and is stronger in his faith than ever before.

Now we are walking through another valley as we (my husband & I) have stepped out of ministry (we are both pastors) at a church that our family has been at for over 19 years.

I fear not because I know the Creator of the Universe...